You will have a faster answer if you post your question here.
Fijian Wikipedia logo[edit source]
Hi Tucoxn, I noticed that you are an active editor on this wiki, and I was looking for someone to help me with a localised logo for this Wikipedia. We have File:Wikipedia-logo-v2-fj.svg out there—could you please have a look at it and tell me whether this is a correct translation of the phrase "Wikipedia — The Free Encyclopedia"? into Fijian? If so, we'll be updating the logo in a few days' or weeks' time to a proper Fijian version (instead of the currently used English logo). Thanks in advance for your help, odder (talk) 15:31, 21 May 2013 (UTC)
- That translation isn't correct. Lala seems to be the Fijian word for "free" but it also means "empty" and is an archaic term for "obligatory labour". Na is indeed the common article, translated as "a" or "the". The formal article, ko, is used in some other circumstances. I don't think a word for "encyclopedia" exists in Fijian, however. As a result, my best effort for this produces "Na Encyclopedia Lala". Give me a little while longer to track down the best translation for something that will be the face of this project.
- On related lines, shouldn't these words be in the Fijian Wiktionary? There seems to be some serious (I mean severe) weirdness there ("12센트 반" and "addicted to kava" are certainly not Fijian and the translations are shoddy, if they can be considered anything close to correct ...or perhaps I really don't understand how that project works). - Tucoxn (talk) 22:21, 21 May 2013 (UTC)
- I don't know how the Fijian Wiktionary works in detail, but as far as I know, the main idea behind Wiktionaries is to collect as many words from as many languages as possible, and translate them into the main language on the project—so, for instance, a German Wiktionary would have entries from English, Spanish, and even Fijian, all translated into German.
- Hello my Fijian is very limited, I just is practically small phrase just copy other articles, so I'm not the best person to correct the translation. Regards--Veronidae (talk) 16:35, 22 May 2013 (UTC)
- Does this mean I should update the translation in the logo, or not just yet? odder (talk) 08:58, 1 June 2013 (UTC)
Although spambots have been targeting this account's userpage, it actually does not belong to an advertising-only account. The user has however been locked due to creation of many "useless" stubs. Claims fj-N on m:User:Lousyi. Just FYI. So no need to revert on Talk;Main Page probably. PiRSquared17 (talk) 03:28, 28 Jiulai 2013 (UTC)